Jack Hammer was originally located on top of the box which contained the workings of the tower clock, which was situated in the west entrance to the church but the workings were moved into the ringing chamber in 1929.
The Minehead Jack still has a bell, which is pulled manually to announce the start of the main Sunday morning service.
Other Jack Hammers can be seen at Blythburgh and Southwold in Suffolk. The Blythburgh Jack dates from 1682. The Southwold Jack, who is wearing armour, dates from 1470.
Close up of Minehead's Jack Hammer
Jack Hammer on the rood loft