Monday, 14 December 2020

Lynch Chapel of Ease, West Lynch

Lynch Chapel of Ease in the hamlet of West Lynch near the village of Bossington, was built c1530.  It was probably the chapel for the Manor of Bossington, which had been owned by Athelney Abbey since 920AD.  After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536-41 it was used as a barn until 1884-5, when it was restored by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland (11th Baronet and owner of the Holnicote Estate).  The chapel has a wagon roof and 11 of the original bosses remain. The windows on the north and south sides of the chapel are original but the east window was rebuilt in the 1880s. A porch was added c1904 in memory of Henry Goddard.

By 1930 Lynch Chapel was again in need of refurbishment.  Rev J.N. Wallis, who was Rector of Selworthy, decided to raise money to fund the refurbishment by writing The Lorna Doone Pageant.  The pageant was performed by 60-70 local adults and children on Selworthy Green on 3 consecutive days in July 1930.  Some horses also took part.  The pageant was directed by Major Trevilian.  3,000 people came to watch it and £500 was raised from ticket sales.  The restoration was led by Mr W.H.R. Blacking.  He built an organ gallery at the west end using wood from the old box pews, which had been removed from Selworthy Church in 1875.  The wood was also used for the panelling around the walls of the chapel.

Grid reference SS 900 476

Lynch Chapel of Ease

Interior of Lynch Chapel

East window of Lynch Chapel

Plaque in memory of John Allan Pilcher
He was an Officer Cadet in the Grenadier Guards.  He was killed by enemy action at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst on 29th January 1941.

No comments:

Post a Comment